This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

ELLER BECK BRIDGE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELLER BECK BRIDGE

List entry Number: 1206330

Location

ELLER BECK BRIDGE, A169

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Lockton

National Park: NORTH YORK MOORS

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Feb-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 329674

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The asset was previously listed twice, also under List entry 1148766. This entry was removed from the List on 30th September 2015.

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 03/08/2015

SE 89 NE 2/56

LOCKTON A169 - Lockton - Goathland parish boundary Eller Beck Bridge

II Bridge. Early-mid C18, widened 1803 by John Carr. Sandstone ashlar, with herringbone-tooled sandstone parapet. Single semicircular span. Upstream side: arch to original bridge of two arch rings, an inner arch of voussoirs that is slightly set back from a narrower arch ring. Narrow band and plain parapet above. Downstream side: arch of the bridge widening of grooved voussoirs flanked by pilaster buttresses.The buttresses rise to form low rectangular piers in the plain parapet. Base of the parapet is marked by a band that also runs around the buttresses. Cambered coping to parapet and chamfered caps to piers. The A169 Pickering to Whitby road was a toll road in 1759. The York Georgian Society, The Works in Architecture of John Carr, 1973.

Listing NGR: SE8581398308

Selected Sources

Books and journals
The Works in Architecture of John Carr, (1973)

National Grid Reference: SE 85813 98308

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206330 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2018 at 08:03:43.

End of official listing