THE WYLANDS, BRITISH TELECOM TRAINING CENTRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206419

Date first listed: 04-Mar-1977

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: THE WYLANDS, BRITISH TELECOM TRAINING CENTRE, LOWER HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE WYLANDS, BRITISH TELECOM TRAINING CENTRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206419 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 08:09:48.

Location

Statutory Address: THE WYLANDS, BRITISH TELECOM TRAINING CENTRE, LOWER HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 52934 77170

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST57NW LOWER HIGH STREET, Shirehampton 901-1/52/1750 (West side) 04/03/77 The Wylands, British Telecom Training Centre (Formerly Listed as: LOWER HIGH STREET (North side) Post Office Regional School, south-west District (The Wylands))

II

House, now training centre. 1905. By F Bligh Bond. Brick with limestone dressings, brick ridge stacks and Cornish slate hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Edwardian Baroque style. 2 storeys and attic; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has quoins and a projecting centre, with a swan's-neck segmental pediment on scrolled corbels and an oculus under a swagged panel, and a 2-storey fully-glazed oriel stair light; windows have rubbed brick flat-arches with grotesque keys to 12/12-pane sashes, with ground-floor plat band and shutters; deep, sprocketed eaves have brackets and swagged, scrolled corner brackets, 5 dormers have alternate triangular and segmental pediments and casement windows, and an open square cupola. The right-hand elevation has a projecting single-storey parapeted porch: Ionic columns with barleysugar fluting to a bracketed segmental canopy, coffered underneath, and a semicircular-arched doorway with a timber fanlight and 6-panel door; a semicircular-arched 2-light arcade to the left side. To the right is a symmetrical elevation with a pedimented centre stepped forward, a 12/12-pane ground-floor sash window flanked by oculi, and a semicircular-arched central first-floor window. INTERIOR: central hall with arched openings and oval ceiling panel, and a dogleg stair with square, moulded balusters and newels. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 400).

Listing NGR: ST5293477170

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379960

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 400

End of official listing