NUMBER 8 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206454

Date first listed: 08-Jan-1959

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Dec-1994

Statutory Address: NUMBER 8 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS, 8, DOWRY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of NUMBER 8 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206454 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 00:28:48.

Location

Statutory Address: NUMBER 8 AND ATTACHED FRONT BASEMENT WALLS AND PIERS, 8, DOWRY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: ST 57009 72664

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BRISTOL

ST5772NW DOWRY SQUARE, Hotwells 901-1/14/1425 (North side) 08/01/59 No.8 and attached front basement walls and piers (Formerly Listed as: DOWRY SQUARE No.8)

GV II

Attached house. c1725. By George Tully. Stucco over brick, brick party wall stacks and a pantile double-pile roof. Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style. 3 storeys, attic and basement; 3-window range. Part of a terrace of 3 houses articulated by rusticated pilaster strips, with moulded ground- and first-floor bands and a moulded coping. A right-hand doorway has carved brackets to a semicircular-arched shell hood (taken from St James's Square), 3-pane overlight and 6-panel door. Lintels with 5 rusticated voussoirs to 4/4-pane sashes in flush frames, and a slate hipped dormer. INTERIOR not inspected. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached front basement area walls, capped piers and wrought-iron railings. Dowry Square was laid out by Tully in 1720, and building continued until 1750. Each side had a 5-window middle house and outer 3-window ones, of brick, now altered and mostly rendered, to various designs. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 105).

Listing NGR: ST5700972664

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 379531

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 105

End of official listing