ROYAL CLARENCE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206472
Date first listed:
24-Mar-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
31-Jan-1994
Statutory Address:
8, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
ROYAL CLARENCE HOUSE, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
ROYAL CLARENCE HOUSE, YORK BUILDINGS

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROYAL CLARENCE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206472 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Aug-2019 at 07:56:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
8, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
ROYAL CLARENCE HOUSE, HIGH STREET
Statutory Address:
ROYAL CLARENCE HOUSE, YORK BUILDINGS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 29805 37082

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST2937SE HIGH STREET 736-1/10/94 (North side) 24/03/50 No.8 and Royal Clarence House (Formerly Listed as: HIGH STREET (North side) Royal Clarence Hotel incorporating No.8)

GV II

Hotel. c1834, converted into shopping centre in 1980s. Probably by Benjamin Baker. Painted Flemish-bond brick, stone blocking course, cornice (repaired with wood), cills and porch; pantile roof with brick stacks to right and centre of ridge. L-shaped plan. 3 storeys with attic; 17-window range to High Street and York Buildings. Four C20 dormers to the front. The High Street facade is symmetrical 6-window range, a curved bay to the right-hand corner has 2 windows and the rest are on the right return in York Street. The main block of 9 windows has a cornice and blocking course; 3/6-pane sashes to second floor and 6/9-panes to full-height sashes on first floor, except 2 to right which have higher cills and that to far right is blind. To centre of street front is a portico with paired Ionic columns and late C19 cast-iron railings above; to centre is a low-relief cast-iron plaque of the town arms with a castle on a bridge, a star and a fleur-de-lys, to left the words "R.C.Mayor", to right "Esq"; it was formerly on the old cast-iron Town Bridge (qv). The moulding of cornice of portico continues across main building as a string course. No.8 to left, now part of the hotel, has separate stucco facade of similar date with painted stone cornices, blocking course, pilasters, cill band and dressings. 4 storeys; symmetrical one-window range. Above the C20 shop front a semicircular recess with moulded archivolt and imposts frames a 6/3-pane sash window, probably formerly 6/6-panes truncated by the shop fascia; above is a 3/6-pane sash, both flanked by pilasters supporting a substantial cornice. Attic storey has a 3/3-pane sash window, panelled pilasters, cornice and blocking course. INTERIOR: the first floor retains some 6-panel doors, moulded cornices, reeded cornices and dado rail; especially room to curved corner which also has a high skirting board; closed-string dogleg service stair to rear has stick balusters and turned newels. This was noted as the principal coaching inn in Bridgwater. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 98; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 203).

Listing NGR: ST2980637071

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373911
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 203
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 98

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Apr 2003
Reference: IOE01/09093/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Michael Bass. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].