ANCHOR HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206526

Date first listed: 05-Jun-1972

Statutory Address: ANCHOR HOUSE, COSLANY SQUARE

Map

Ordnance survey map of ANCHOR HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206526 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 08:39:16.

Location

Statutory Address: ANCHOR HOUSE, COSLANY SQUARE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Norfolk

District: Norwich (District Authority)

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Grid Reference: TG2277808833

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TG 2208 NE 15/257 5.6.72

COSLANY SQUARE (south-east side)

Anchor House (formerly listed as Anchor Brewery under Coslany Street)

GV II

Former Anchor Brewery, now offices and maisonettes. Early C19. In 3 parts. Left range: Yellow brick, pantiled roof (renewed), 2 brick ridge chimneys (rebuilt). 3 storeys; 6 first-floor windows. Early C19 style shop-front (rebuilt) to right has double half-glazed doors flanked by shop windows with glazing bars and 4 fluted Doric half-columns under triglyph frieze with dentilled cornice. 1980s flattened arch to left. Windows have sashes with glazing bars under flat gauged brick arches. Box cornice. Date-stone on left wall: B/TJ/1773. 2-storey range adjoining to right has 3 round-headed ground floor windows with keyblocks and 3 sashes in weather-boarded first floor (rebuilt). Later C19 Right range (1868) Red brick with yellow brick details; hipped slate 2-span roof. 4 storeys; 7-window range with 3 bays defined by pilasters. First and second-floor windows have round-headed casements with glazing bars and cambered brick arches on the ground and third floors. Dentilled third-floor string course and moulded eaves cornice. Rounded corner to Westwick Street frontage flanks a 9-window range in similar style. Carriage arch to left with 3 windows above joins the left range (q.v.). Former Vat House to rear: Painted brick, slate roof. Now 2 storeys; 4 window range. Facade has central segmental headed door flanked by pairs of round-headed windows with glazing bar casements. Dentilled string course under continuous casement lights. Louvred roof ventilator. Interior: Left part entirely re-modelled; right part has barrel- vaulted ground floor with rows of cast iron columns; and the Vat House retains its original industrial A-frame roof. Remodelled 1983-4 copying original features where replaced.

Listing NGR: TG2277808833

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 229008

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing