This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

4, SHEEP STREET

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 4, SHEEP STREET

List entry Number: 1206532

Location

4, SHEEP STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Feb-1972

Date of most recent amendment: 04-Apr-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 366391

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRATFORD-UPON-AVON

SP2054NW SHEEP STREET 604-1/10/208 (South side) 09/02/72 No.4 (Formerly Listed as: SHEEP STREET No.4 Shakespeare Press)

GV II

Town house, now shop. Tie beam with black letter: BUILT c1490, probably C16; barge-boards with: RESTORED 1910: BY WILLIAM JAGGARD. Timber-frame front with plaster infill and some brick; much remaining internal timber-frame; fishscale tile roof with brick rear stack. 2 storeys; single-window range. Small brick section with top modillioned brick cornice and larger timber-framed projection to left. Entrance to right has small-pane half-glazed door. Ground floor has large 5-light transomed window with upper leaded glazing and grille below; 1st floor has late C20 three-light window with 2 transoms replacing sash, and small leaded window to gablet. INTERIOR: chamfered beams; 1st floor has roof trusses with close-studded infill; rear has 2 altered roof trusses to rear wing, now enclosed in larger wing, on wall posts. HISTORICAL NOTE: a plaque, now removed, stated that a press was founded here 1591, and that the 1st edition of Shakespeare's works was published here 1623. William Jaggard, the bibliographer of Shakespeare and said to be the descendant of the publisher of the 1st folio, lived here late C19 onwards and set up the Shakespeare Press. (VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 13; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 84).

Listing NGR: SP2016654834

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 84
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 13

National Grid Reference: SP 20166 54834

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206532 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:33:33.

End of official listing