MANOR HOUSE AND ADJACENT RUINS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206539

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1969

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE AND ADJACENT RUINS

Map

Ordnance survey map of MANOR HOUSE AND ADJACENT RUINS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206539 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Nov-2018 at 15:51:58.

Location

Statutory Address: MANOR HOUSE AND ADJACENT RUINS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Mitford

National Grid Reference: NZ 16816 85573

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/05/2016.

NZ 1685 9/27 20.10.69

MITFORD

Manor House and adjacent ruins

(Formerly listed as: Old Manor House and adjacent ruins) (Formerly listed as Mitford Manor House) II* GV

Manor house. Probably C16, remodelled C17 with addition of porch tower, dated 1637, and rear wings; kitchen wing remodelled 1961-2. Large rubble with cut dressings; pantile roof on kitchen wing. Main block with central porch tower on east and twin wings with small outshut between on west.

Porch tower 3 storeys. Plinth. 3 steps up to round arch with imposts and keystone, under ornate entablature with worn armorial panel, strapwork and finials. String courses stepped over 3-light transomed windows; embattled, parapet. Returns show ground-floor openings with re-used C14 trefoiled heads, and 2-light transomed windows above. Doorway within porch has flat-pointed head, chamfered surround and 6-panel door.

Apart from fragments adjacent to porch tower, the front and end walls of the main block have fallen. The rear wall shows remains of several doorways and fireplaces, one with a flat-pointed arch within a square frame, under a relieving arch. To rear left, the south wall of the south-west wing shows 2-light windows with remains of diamond-latticed glazing. The north-west or kitchen wing has been much altered and is not of especial interest; a fireplace and dogwheel were removed to Mitford Hall (q.v.).

Listing NGR: NZ1681585577

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238942

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing