Numbers 1-3 The Carriage House

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206555
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 1-3 THE CARRIAGE HOUSE, MITFORD HALL DRIVE

Map

Ordnance survey map of Numbers 1-3 The Carriage House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206555 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:08:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
NUMBERS 1-3 THE CARRIAGE HOUSE, MITFORD HALL DRIVE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Mitford
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16456 85495

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 19/05/2016.

NZ 1685 9/32

MTTFORD MITFORD HALL Mitford Hall Drive

Numbers 1-3 The Carriage House

(Formerly listed as: Stables to north of Mitford Hall, with attached kennels and yard wall)

II GV Stable range, probably c.1820 for the Mitford family by John Dobson. Squared tooled stone with tooled-and-margined dressings; Welsh slate roof, wood and lead cupola. Ranges on 3 sides of rectangular yard.

North range 7 bays. Central 2-storey, 3-bay section has plinth, 1st floor band and moulded eaves cornice; segmental arches, the central open, flanked by boarded double doors, windows over. Coped gables; stepped-and-corniced left end stack, reduced right end stack. Central cupola on ridge has square base with clockface, carrying drum with louvred openings between 6 pilasters; conical roof with weathervane. Single-storey flanking sections with boarded doors and various sash windows. Single-storey east range shows 2 pairs of boarded doors and 16-pane sash; roof hipped to right. Single-storey west range shows various sash windows; coped gable to left with stepped-and-corniced stack. All openings in alternating-block surrounds. Pedimented gable ends.

External elevation of north range shows three 20-pane sashes to 1st floor; to left of entrance, attached single-storey kennel range with 3 boarded doors; and flat-coped wall to exercise yard.

Listing NGR: NZ1645685495

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238947
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].