This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

TOWN HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: TOWN HALL

List entry Number: 1206572

Location

TOWN HALL, CORNHILL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 04-Aug-1972

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275422

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1260 CORNHILL (South Side)

Town Hall TM 1644 NW 1/265

II GV

2. A yellow stone building with pink pilasters, columns and dressings and a balustraded parapet with a bracketted and dentilled cornice. Built in 1867-68 by Bellamy and Hardy of Lincoln, it is a good example of high Victorian civic architecture. 2 storeys and a sub-basement which becomes a lower ground storey on Princes Street. The centre part, of 3 window range breaks forward with an arcade of Corinthian columns on the 1st storey and a Roman Doric Collonade with vermiculated rustications on the ground storey. The portico is approached by a flight of stone steps. The balustraded parapet has 4 female standing figures. Behind the parapet the centre part rises to an attic storey with a modillioned cornice, a central window and flanking bulls-eye windows. A stone dome, above, is surmounted by stone clock tower and cupola. 9 window range on front (arranged 3:3:3), and 6 window range on Princes Street, double-hung sashes without glazing bars. The 1st storey windows have semi-circular arches with Corinthian pilasters, coved splays, segmental balustraded balconies and roundels above the arches (the roundels in the centre part have heads). the ground storey windows have Baroque architraves and are set between Roman Doric pilasters with vermiculated rustications. A modillion cornice runs between the storeys, The sub-basement forms a rusciated plinth to the building. Roof slate, hipped. The building was cleaned in 1971.

Nos 7, 8, 13 & 15, Golden Lion Hotel,Town Hall & Post 0ffice form a Group.

Also The Town Hall forms a group with The Corn Exchange, King Street.

Listing NGR: TM1621244617

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 16212 44617

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206572 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 10:56:43.

End of official listing