RUINS OF LADY CHAPEL ON NORTH BANK OF RIVER WANSBECK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206590

Date first listed: 29-Apr-1987

Statutory Address: RUINS OF LADY CHAPEL ON NORTH BANK OF RIVER WANSBECK

Map

Ordnance survey map of RUINS OF LADY CHAPEL ON NORTH BANK OF RIVER WANSBECK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206590 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 07:54:11.

Location

Statutory Address: RUINS OF LADY CHAPEL ON NORTH BANK OF RIVER WANSBECK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Pegswood

National Grid Reference: NZ 22148 86025

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PEGSWOOD NZ 28 NW NZ 22148620 2/42 Ruins of Lady Chapel on north bank of River Wansbeck II Chapel, mid C14 probably rebuilt in later C15. Squared stone with cut dressings. Single cell, only c.7 x 4 metres internally. Walls survive up to 4 courses high; jambs of doorway, with drawbar hole, in centre of west end. Carved shield with arms of Ogle and Bertram quartering Kirkby, removed in early C19 to Bothal Castle, imply construction by Robert 1st Lord Ogle (d.1363). C18 engravings show some late C15 features.

(Relief shield with bearings carved on rock face 12 metres north-east of the chapel probably carved by a Morpeth curate early in C19).

Rev. J. Hodgson, History of Northumberland Part II Vol. II (1832) p.108.

Listing NGR: NZ2214886025

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238957

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hodgson, J, 'A History of Northumberland' in A History of Northumberland Part 2, , Vol. 2, (1832), 108

End of official listing