This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

List entry Number: 1206619

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, DIAL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: Ipswich

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 275424

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TM 1644 NW DIAL LANE (east side) 1/38 Church of St Lawrence 19.12.51

GV II* (star)

A Cl5 aisleless church with a tall west tower which makes a prominent landmark in the town. The nave has good perpendicular windows between buttresses, built after 1449 with the money of John Baldwyn who died in that year. The west tower was begun circa 1431 with the money of John Bottold and was practically rebuilt in 1882. Rising to a height of 97 ft it is richly ornamented with stepped openwork battlements, much flushwork, bands of quatrefoil and chequered stone and flintwork. There are large 3-light bell openings. The doorway has C15 carving. The interior has a number of C18 monuments and a brass dated 1506 of Robert Wymball, a notary, it is said to be the earliest known memorial to on of this profession.

The Church of St Lawrence forms a group with Nos 2 & 4 and Nos 8 to 12 (even).



Listing NGR: TM1639144586

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TM 16391 44586

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206619 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2018 at 03:47:26.

End of official listing