UPPER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206632

Date first listed: 09-Jun-1995

Statutory Address: UPPER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY, LEE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of UPPER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206632 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 16:08:26.

Location

Statutory Address: UPPER WAITING ROOM, CLIFF RAILWAY, LEE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: North Devon (District Authority)

Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth

National Park: EXMOOR

National Grid Reference: SS7195449608

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH

SS7149 LEE ROAD, Lynton 858-1/4/19 (North side (off)) Upper Waiting Room, Cliff Railway

II

Waiting room at head of cliff railway. 1890. Built by Bob Jones. A small pavilion incorporating a shop and a small room used by rail staff, but formerly a waiting room. Timber-framed, some rubble walling, asbestos cement slate roof. A hipped roof has, at the entrance end, set on the splay, a gabled 'dormer' above a wide overhanging eaves, which continues to the right, on timber brackets. The main framing members are chamfered and stopped at all junctions, and frame alternate wide and very narrow plate-glass lights above plastered panels. The door, on the splay, is panelled, with glass, and with vertical boards to the top panel, under a transom light. The far side, overlooking the tracks, has 2 large tripartite plate sashes. The under-eaves are boarded, and on the entry side there are cleats, probably to accommodate shutters, which no longer exist. At the E end, immediately under the eaves level, is a flat-roofed section enclosed in a rubble wall with moulded coping. INTERIORS: the shop interior has a boarded ceiling. The office has a plank dado. HISTORICAL NOTE: this cliff railway, the first of its kind in England, was opened on Easter Day, 1890. It resulted from the enterprise of Sir George Newnes, and Sir Thomas Hewitt, and is still operated by water. See also The Lower Waiting Room, The Esplanade, Lynmouth (qv).

Listing NGR: SS7195449608

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 376509

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing