This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE GRAPES TAVERN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE GRAPES TAVERN

List entry Number: 1206641

Location

THE GRAPES TAVERN, EAST STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: County of Herefordshire

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Hereford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jul-1994

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 372335

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HEREFORD

SO5039NE EAST STREET 683-1/2/316 (North side) 10/06/52 The Grapes Tavern (Formerly Listed as: WEST STREET Old Bunch of Grapes Tavern)

GV II

Dwellings, now inn. C17, C18 and C19. Stucco; Welsh slate roof; brick stack to rear. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys and cellar; 5-window range: early C19, 6/6 sashes and to left, C20 tripartite 2/2: 6/6: 2/2 sash; hoist door. C20, 2-light casement and early C19, 3/6 sash over; to left, 2 stuccoed openings. Entrance to centre right: C19, 4-panel door and blocked overlight with grooved pilasters and remains of flat hood; to right, blocked, probably C19 shop-window with grooved pilasters and canted return with cast-iron pillar; to left, 3 blocked openings, and late C19 double-doors with moulded architraves. Right returned side: band to 2nd floor; stuccoed opening over. INTERIOR: extensively restored to reveal original C17 timber-frame on all floor levels, and incorporates an original C17 two-light mullion window on 2nd floor and a C17 six-light mullion window on 1st floor. C19 staircase with stick balusters; early C19 dogleg staircase with turned balusters. 2nd floor: 2 and 4-panel doors. 1st floor: 2 and 4-panel doors. Cellar: plank door. The weekly, "London Letter", (C18) was read out in its ground floor principal parlour by a chairman appointed annually for the purpose. The original C18 armed bench seats of the parlour remain in situ having been restored. (RCHME).

Listing NGR: SO5098739978

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of Herefordshire I South West, (1931)

National Grid Reference: SO 50987 39978

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206641 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2018 at 01:33:38.

End of official listing