LYCH GATE AT CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206677
Date first listed:
16-Mar-1993
Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE AT CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, GREAT WARLEY STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYCH GATE AT CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206677 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:37:14.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYCH GATE AT CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, GREAT WARLEY STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Essex
District:
Brentwood (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 58922 89995

Details

BRENTWOOD

TQ58NE GREAT WARLEY STREET, Great Warley 723-1/10/145 (West side) 16/03/93 Lych gate at Church of St Mary the Virgin

GV II*

Lych gate. 1903. By C Harrison Townsend. Oak framed on a stone base, peg-tiled roof. 2 bays, 3 trusses, side purlins with axially braced queen posts, tie-beams with shaped braces, principal posts braced 4 ways down to cruciform sole plates, decorated with cyma and quarter round mouldings with variously decorated stops, principally leaves. Barge boards bracketed out and carved with leaves and fruit. Inscribed tie-beam and plaque above commemorating building in 1903 in reign of King Edward VII. Gate, 2-leaved of heavy oak framed boards in Art Nouveau style, serpentine top with berry finials. Heavy clasping hinges with exaggerated stud heads. The lych gate forms a group with the Church (qv).

Listing NGR: TQ5892289995

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
373440
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2001
Reference: IOE01/05346/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Graham Bridgeman-Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].