CARFAX COURT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206700
Date first listed:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
CARFAX COURT, 31, DURDHAM PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CARFAX COURT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206700 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 12:49:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CARFAX COURT, 31, DURDHAM PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
ST 57381 75234

Details

BRISTOL

ST5775 DURDHAM PARK, Redland 901-1/31/1706 (North side) No.31 Carfax Court

GV II

House, now retirement flats. Dated 1873 but built 1853; converted c1980. Snecked Carboniferous limestone and Brandon Hill Grit rubble with limestone dressings, lateral and exterior stacks, and a fish-scale slate cross-gabled roof. Irregular L-shaped double-depth plan. Jacobethan style. 2 storeys, attic and basement; 6-window range. An irregular composition with rear right-hand projecting wing, and the entrance set in the re-entrant. Ground-floor cross windows, and first-floor mullion windows with label moulds and stops, to horned sashes with horizontal bars. The road front in 3 sections: symmetrical 2-window left-hand section has a central exterior stack with an ashlar top, and a full-width stone balcony on stone brackets with a balustrade of linked rings. A central gable set forward has a ground-floor canted 3-light bow to a cornice and parapet, paired first-floor window, and 2-light attic window with a triangular head and lozenge-shaped top light, under a Flemish gable with curved kneelers, moulded coping with a segmental pediment on top containing an oculus. Right-hand projecting section has a 2-storey, 3-light canted bay with an ashlar parapet, raised to a gable containing a shield with the monogram CJT and 1873. The rear has a 2-storey parapeted stair hall with a balustrade in the re-entrant angle between 2 gabled wings, at an angle to the right a single-storey porch with a shaped gable, semicircular-arched doorway with carved voussoirs, and 2-leaf 6-panel door, with a small semicircular-arched side window. To the left is a 3-section ground-floor bay with a pulvinated frieze and balustrade, the end sections bowed, that to the right curving forward to meet the stair hall. Right-hand projecting gable, as the front, has a similar ground-floor bay with curved ends, projecting 3-light central section, and balustrade, beneath a first-floor window with a projecting bay and central 4-light bow; matching triangular window as the front. The rear gable has a cast-iron lattice basket balcony to the ground floor. Basement windows with plain surrounds. INTERIOR: lobby with panelled door to a stair hall with a large window with thin colonnettes to the sides, and a central open dogleg stair with barleysugar balusters, 4 to the curtail; front former drawing room with elaborate lattice coved cornice, panelled plaster ceiling, end bay marked by thin colonnettes, and fine marble fire surround with carved swag and central figurines; rear former dining room with similar ceiling, egg-and-dart cornice, and bay; panelled shutters and doors. Part of a group of 3 large villas with similar stonework, this the best composed with 3 varied elevations and good details.

Listing NGR: ST5738175234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379547
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].