THE MASONS ARMS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206702
Date first listed:
24-Apr-1974
Date of most recent amendment:
11-May-1988
Statutory Address:
THE MASONS ARMS, BELL LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE MASONS ARMS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206702 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 12:02:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE MASONS ARMS, BELL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wakefield (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Ackworth
National Grid Reference:
SE 43738 16471

Details

ACKWORTH BELL LANE (north side) SE41NW Ackworth Moor 2/5 The Masons Arms 24.4.1974 (Formerly listed as Masons' Arms Inn) - II

Public house. Dated 1682 on lintel of door, but otherwise late C18; altered and enlarged. Coursed sandstone blocks, stone slate roof. T-plan formed by 5-bay front range with rear wing. Two storeys and five lst-floor windows; doorway at junction of 3rd and 4th bays has chamfered surround (restored above the 2 lowest courses, which have chamfer stops), lintel inscribed "1682", and hoodmould; large signboard above door; irregular fenestration, with 7 windows at ground floor (4 to left, 3 to right) and 5 above (3 to left, 2 to right), all with plain surrounds including large rectangular heads, but of varied size and differing glazing, including horizontal-sliding sashes of 2, 2 and 3 lights at ground floor and 2, 3, 3, and 3 lights above. Roof hipped at left end; coped with kneelers at right-hand end; brick chimney on ridge in line with door. Two-bay rear wing has doorway flanked by 2 windows at ground floor, 2 square windows above (those to the right are 2- light horizontal-sliding sashes; others altered). Interior: some stop-chamfered beams; otherwise altered.

Listing NGR: SE4373816471

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
342605
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/09122/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Robson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].