THE OLD CUSTOM HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206709

Date first listed: 08-Nov-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 19-Apr-1993

Statutory Address: THE OLD CUSTOM HOUSE, 1 AND 1A, BRIDGELAND STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD CUSTOM HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206709 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2018 at 06:14:22.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD CUSTOM HOUSE, 1 AND 1A, BRIDGELAND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Devon

District: Torridge (District Authority)

Parish: Bideford

National Grid Reference: SS 45489 26825

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDEFORD

SS4526 BRIDGELAND STREET 842-1/5/21 (North side) 08/11/49 Nos.1 AND 1A The Old Custom House (Formerly Listed as: BRIDGELAND STREET (North side) No.1 Bridgeland House)

GV II

House, later the Customs House, now a public house. 1695, remodelled with rear additions in early and mid C19. Solid rendered walls. Slate roof. Rendered chimney on rear wall. 2 storeys with garret; 4-window range, with doorway in place of second ground-storey window front left. Windows have shaped surrounds; sashes with margin-panes. Raised band above ground storey. 3 gabled dormers with pierced, patterned bargeboards; sashes with margin-panes. Gable-end facing The Quay has 2-storeyed, 3-light bay window with rounded corners and top entablature; sashes with glazing-bars. Garret window matches those on Bridgeland Street front. Gable decorated with 3 ball-finials. At rear a rounded stair turret with round-arched window containing 18-pane fixed sash with radial bars at the top. Adjoining it on either side, additions with late C20 slate-hanging. To right, facing the Ropewalk, a former warehouse; ground storey altered, but upper storey retains C19 loading-door flanked by sash-windows with margin-panes. INTERIOR: ground storey only inspected, completely altered. Rear staircase has thin, square-section balusters. Bideford Bridge Trust lease of 20.5.1695 grants newly erected house on this site to Nathaniel Gascoyne, carpenter, who had laid out Bridgeland Street in 1690. Lease of 1832 says building 'now used as the Custom House'; it was no longer used for this purpose by 1890. (Thorp J: Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer Conference, 1987: 1987-: NOTES-BRIDGELAND ST; Bideford Historic Buildings Survey, Notes; Bideford Bridge Trust Account Book: 1).

Listing NGR: SS4548926825

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 375735

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bideford Historic Buildings Survey
'Bideford Bridge Trust Account Book' in Bideford Bridge Trust Account Book 1, ()
Thorp, J, 'Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer Conference' in Programme of Devon Buildings Group Summer Conference, (1987)
Other
Notes on Bridgeland Street,

End of official listing