GARDEN WALLS, ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, GREENHOUSE AND PILLARS, WEST OF BLAGDON HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206715
Date first listed:
29-Apr-1987
Statutory Address:
GARDEN WALLS, ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, GREENHOUSE AND PILLARS, WEST OF BLAGDON HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of GARDEN WALLS, ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, GREENHOUSE AND PILLARS, WEST OF BLAGDON HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206715 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2019 at 12:12:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
GARDEN WALLS, ATTACHED OUTBUILDINGS, GREENHOUSE AND PILLARS, WEST OF BLAGDON HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Stannington
National Grid Reference:
NZ 21197 77082

Details

STANNINGTON BLAGDON NZ 2177 13/70 Garden walls, attached outbuildings, greenhouse and pillars, west of Blagdon Hall GV II Garden walls, outbuildings, greenhouse and supporting pillars for roses. Late C18 or early C19 with alterations under Sir Edwin Lutyens' garden scheme, 1926- 1938. Walls and outbuildings brick in English Garden Wall Bond 1 and 4, with stone dressings and Lakeland slate roofs; greenhouse glass, wood and cast iron on ashlar base; pillars brick. Rectangular walled garden with short diagonal wing walls at southern angles, ending in square piers; south-eastern links to pond surround (q.v.). Wall with flat stone coping; both coping and coursing sloped down steeply on either side of lower central section on south. Coping ramped up on either side of gateway on east, with elaborate wrought-iron gate between piers with foliate ball finials. Boarded door on north in alternating- block surround. Greenhouse against inner face of wall to west of door has patterned spandrel brackets and ornate wrought-iron ridge finials. Pent outbuildings, against outer face of wall east of door, have boarded doors, 16-pane sash windows and 2 segmental arches.

Cruciform-plan paths within garden lined (except in north-east quarter) by pillars with dog-tooth friezes and stepped caps; these were formerly linked by wood rails which supported climbing roses.

Altered greenhouses and house at north-west corner are not of special interest.

Listing NGR: NZ2119777082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238980
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 31 Northumberland,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].