Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206769.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2021 at 22:05:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Torbay (Unitary Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SX 91961 64643



SX9164 ELLACOMBE CHURCH ROAD 885-1/14/90 (North side) Parish Church of Christ Church


Parish church. 1868 to the designs of Habershon, Brock and Webb. Chancel and south-east chapel by Tait and Harvey, 1907, aisle 1889 by Richards and Harrison. Snecked local grey limestone rubble; freestone dressings; slate roof. PLAN: Chancel; nave; 4-bay south aisle; south-west tower incorporating porch; north-east vestry; south-east chapel. EXTERIOR: Chancel lower than nave. South side (show front) consists of the buttressed south aisle with a lean-to roof and 2-light Geometric Decorated-style traceried windows. 3-stage tower to west, square on plan to the bottom stage with a south-east stair turret which has a moulded south doorway with stiff-leaf capitals to the responds; gabled hoodmould and original boarded door with good ironwork. Lancet windows above. Belfry stage with canted corners has louvred lancet windows with a stone batter below tall lucarnes; stone spire. The south-east chapel is snecked ashlar with diagonal buttresses, a parapet, hipped roof and trefoil-headed one-light windows: one to the south side and two to the east. Chancel with same masonry finish as the chapel, has moulded string courses, angle buttresses and a central buttress in the east wall; 5-light Geometric Decorated traceried east window. North side of nave has Geometric Decorated traceried windows. INTERIOR: Moulded chancel arch with text in Lombardic script; chancel roof a boarded, keeled wagon with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Unusually tall nave, the roof idiosyncratic: 5-and-a-half bays with intermediate trusses. Main trusses arch-braced with queen posts above the tie supporting a scissor-braced apex with braces from the queen posts both to the purlins and principal rafters. Intermediate trusses are also arch-braced with king posts. All trusses spring from stone corbels. The 4-bay south arcade has remarkable slender cast-iron columns of quatrefoil section and wrought-iron capitals below an iron plate that supports the thick chamfered arches. West end gallery glazed in with elaborate Gothic front. The chancel has 2-bay arcades into the side chapels with cylindrical columns and moulded arches. Sedilia with traceried segmental arch and pendant. FITTINGS: Chancel fittings of early C20; timber blind traceried reredos; Purbeck marble ashlar chancel screen. Octagonal pulpit with pierced roundels is contemporary with chancel screen. Font with small bowl on slender stem. 1918 war memorial window possibly by Hugh Easton. (Brooks C, Cherry M and Cox J: Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive).

Listing NGR: SX9196164643

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 27 October 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Brooks, C, Cherry, M, Cox, J , Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive
War Memorials Online, accessed 27 October 2017 from
War Memorials Register, accessed 27 October 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/15954/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].