PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206774

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 03-May-1994

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, FORE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206774 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 10:44:04.

Location

Statutory Address: PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, FORE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Torbay (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 91857 65978

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TORQUAY

SX9164 FORE STREET, St Marychurch 885-1/11/435 (South West side) 20/11/52 Parish Church of St Mary (Formerly Listed as: FORE STREET, St Mary Church Church of St Mary)

GV II

Parish church. Tower by J Hugall dated 1877; remainder of church largely rebuilt 1952-56 in a traditional Gothic style after serious war damage. Local grey limestone rubble brought to course, yellow sandstone dressings; natural slate roof. PLAN: Nave; chancel; N & S aisles; west tower. EXTERIOR: 3-stage W tower with angle buttresses with a 2-stage SE stair turret with a statue niche. The west face has a 4-light traceried window with curvilinear tracery and shafts with carved capitals. 2nd stage has 2 trefoil-headed one-light windows. Two 2-light Decorated style traceried belfry windows have louvres and richly-moulded architraves. Pierced parapet & octagonal corner pinnacles. The 1950s rebuild is conventional Gothic style with a buttressed S aisle and traceried windows. INTERIOR; Not inspected on survey. Pevsner notes a good C12 font with figure scenes; a pre-war rood screen and post-war fittings by Herbert Read of Exeter.

Listing NGR: SX9185765978

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390614

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989)

End of official listing