BREAKAWAY SPORTS CENTRE BREAKAWAY SPORTS CLUB

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206804
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
BREAKAWAY SPORTS CENTRE, MEADFOOT ROAD
Statutory Address:
BREAKAWAY SPORTS CLUB, TORWOOD GARDENS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BREAKAWAY SPORTS CENTRE
BREAKAWAY SPORTS CLUB
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206804.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Nov-2019 at 08:23:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
BREAKAWAY SPORTS CENTRE, MEADFOOT ROAD
Statutory Address:
BREAKAWAY SPORTS CLUB, TORWOOD GARDENS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92158 63451

Details

TORQUAY

SX9263 MEADFOOT ROAD 885-1/18/160 (North side) 10/01/75 Breakaway Sports Centre (Formerly Listed as: TORWOOD GARDENS ROAD Church of the Holy Trinity)

GV II

Parish church, redundant and now in use as sports centre. 1894 by Watson and Watson on the site of an earlier chapel. Snecked local grey limestone rubble with sandstone dressings; slate roof, ornamental ridge tiles. Late example of Early English/Decorated Revival. PLAN: Nave; apsidal chancel; north and south aisles; north and south transepts; north porch into transept; chapel and vestry off chancel; north west tower. The conversion has involved walling off the aisles and inserting a floor in the nave with steps up from the former chancel. EXTERIOR: 3-sided apse with 2-light Decorated traceried windows. Transept windows 4-light and transomed, transepts with angle buttresses. Porch on west wall of north transept with a moulded 2-centred doorway with nook shafts. 5-bay aisles have lean-to roofs; bays divided by buttresses with set-offs; clerestory bays divided by pilasters. Triple lancets to aisles; lancets to clerestory. 3-light Decorated traceried window in west end of south aisle. 7-light west window with Geometric Decorated tracery. 3-stage tower with angle buttresses and a 3-sided stair turret on the east side; tall stone spire supported by flying buttresses. Tower has a richly moulded 2-centred arched west doorway and pairs of large lancets to the other faces. Frieze of blind trefoil-headed arcading to bottom stage. Belfry stage has big paired louvred lancet openings and Y tracery. Trefoil-headed arcade forms parapet. Octagonal corner pinnacles to angle and flying buttresses have blind trefoil-headed arcade and conical spire. 2-light lucarnes with Y tracery to 4 sides of spire. INTERIOR: 5-bay aisles have octagonal piers with stiff-leaf carved capitals. Nave open roof survives in first-floor gymnasium: arched braced on stiff-leaf carved corbels. Chancel polychromy, including stencilled wall decoration and the painted roof survives from the level of the springing of the window arches. Good stained glass intact: 3 east windows by Drake; excellent west window of 1907 designed by Maurice Drake and executed by Drake and Son (Devon Nineteenth-Century Churches Project). A very late example of Early English revival. The spire is an important element in the townscape. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.848; Brooks C: Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive).

Listing NGR: SX9215863451

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390694
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Brooks, C, Cherry, M, Cox, J , Devon Nineteenth Century Churches Project Archive
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 848
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 848

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/08113/05
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Mike Thompson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].