ST VINCENT'S HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206806
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
ST VINCENT'S HOUSE, MEADFOOT ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST VINCENT'S HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206806.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 16:54:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST VINCENT'S HOUSE, MEADFOOT ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92275 63460

Details

TORQUAY

SX9263 MEADFOOT ROAD 885-1/18/165 (North side) 10/01/75 St Vincent's House (Formerly Listed as: MEADFOOT ROAD St Vincent)

GV II

Villa, later developed as an hotel, now divided into flats. c1830. Stuccoed and blocked out; slate roof; stacks with rendered shafts with sunk panels and corbelled cornices on moulded corbels, some original tapering pots. PLAN: Rectangular double-depth main block, entrance on the east side with a service block to the north-east. EXTERIOR: 2 and 3 storeys. Asymmetrical 5-window 2-storey entrance front. Deep eaves; eaves band. Shallow projecting stacks to left and right. Fine projecting open porch with paired, fluted Ionic columns supporting an entablature with a modillion frieze below the cornice. Parapet to porch with sections of fine cast-iron balustrade with palmette and anthemion decoration. Windows are 12-pane sashes except 9 over 12-pane stair window with margin panes and a stained glass border. Left return 3-bay with eaves band and pilaster strips: 12-pane first-floor sashes and 18-pane ground floor sashes. West elevation in a similar style with a 2-storey canted bay. INTERIOR: Retains some original detail including Greek motifs and plasterwork. HISTORY: Joseph Marchetti ran the Queen's Hotel until c1833 when he moved here (then called Apsley House) and ran it as a private hotel. In 1845 Queen Adelaide and suite stayed and in 1854 Marie Amelia, ex-queen of the French and her suite. (Ellis). (Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition: 1930-: P.354).

Listing NGR: SX9227563460

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390698
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ellis, A, A Historical Survey of Torquay, (1930), 354

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].