HESKETH CRESCENT AND ATTACHED RAILINGS NO 1-15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1206808

Date first listed: 20-Nov-1952

Statutory Address: HESKETH CRESCENT AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-15, MEADFOOT SEA ROAD

Statutory Address: NO 1-15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-15, HESKETH CRESCENT

Map

Ordnance survey map of HESKETH CRESCENT AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
NO 1-15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206808 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 13:18:56.

Location

Statutory Address: HESKETH CRESCENT AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-15, MEADFOOT SEA ROAD

Statutory Address: NO 1-15 AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, 1-15, HESKETH CRESCENT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Torbay (Unitary Authority)

National Grid Reference: SX 93010 63138

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TORQUAY

SX9263 MEADFOOT SEA ROAD 885-1/18/169 Nos. 1-15 (consecutive) Hesketh 20/11/52 Crescent and attached railings

GV II*

Includes: Nos.1-15 attached railings HESKETH CRESCENT. Crescent of 15 houses, now divided into holiday flats and hotel. 1846-48 by the younger Harveys for Sir Laurence Palk. Plastered; roof concealed behind parapet; stacks with rendered shafts with platbands. PLAN: Concave terrace, each house double-depth on plan, one-room wide with an off-centre door, centre five bays conceived as one unit with a central doorway. EXTERIOR: 3 storeys, basement and attic, the attic storey raised at a later stage, eliminating the original central pediment. 47-bay range. Centre 5 bays broken forward; ground floor rusticated, first and second floors with fluted Composite pilasters supporting an enriched entablature below a deep projecting cornice with dentil and modillion friezes. Attic storey windows also divided by pilasters, crowned with urns. Windows reglazed with plate-glass timber sashes, the ground floor with segmental heads, keyblocks and moulded architraves; the first floor with alternating segmental and triangular pediments on consoles. The other houses mostly have round-headed ground-floor windows with chanelled rusticated pilasters between; round-headed doorways; first-floor piano nobile has cast-iron balconies with anthemion pattern and tent roof with fretted fascias; cable moulding at second-floor level and enriched friezes below the cornice, matching the centre house. End houses break forward with giant pilasters and first-floor windows treated to match the centre house. The returns pedimented. Fine set of area railings with spearhead finials complement the more decorative iron balconies. INTERIOR: Not inspected, but likely to retain features of interest. HISTORY: The centre house is said to have been the residence of Sir Laurence Palk. Ellis mentions (without a reference) that Hesketh Crescent was described as "the finest crescent in the West of England". Spectacularly-sited, overlooking the sea. This is the grandest work in Torquay undertaken by the Harvey sons, whose father built Higher Terrace (qv) in 1811. (Ellis CA: An Historical Survey of Torquay, 2nd edition: 1930-: P.285).

Listing NGR: SX9301063138

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 390703

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ellis, A, A Historical Survey of Torquay, (1930), 285

End of official listing