PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1206814
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1952
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, MONTPELLIER ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206814 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 22:57:23.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, MONTPELLIER ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 91886 63653

Details

TORQUAY

SX9163 MONTPELLIER ROAD 885-1/17/187 (North side) 20/11/52 Parish Church of St John the Evangelist (Formerly Listed as: MONTPELLIER TERRACE Church of St John the Evangelist)

GV I

Parish church. 1861-73 to the designs of GE Street, west tower completed 1884-85 by AE Street to his father's designs. Lady chapel decorated 1888 by JD Sedding (Pevsner). Local grey crazed limestone with Ham Hill dressings; slate roof; pierced crested ridge tiles. Description approximate as interior and exterior scaffolded on survey for major repair scheme. PLAN: Chancel with south Lady chapel; nave with clerestory above 5-bay south aisle; south-west 4-stage tower. EXTERIOR: 2-bay chancel with lower roof than nave and flying buttresses on the south side. Two 2-light Geometric Decorated windows with a cinquefoil with a roundel in the head. Lean-to chapel between buttresses with two 3-light Decorated windows with head trefoils. South aisle has a moulded string at sill level, a corbel table and five 2-light Geometric Decorated traceried windows. Moulded-arched doorway in eastern bay with toothed moulding. Buttressed nave with 4 clerestory windows of 4 lancets under superordinate arches. Striking saddleback tower to west with a triple chamfered doorway and inner doorway with detached shafts. Triple lancet window above doorway, above that blind recesses contain slit windows. High transomed richly-moulded belfry window with pairs of trefoil-headed lights above and below the transom. Rose window in gable of tower. INTERIOR: Spectacular, high quality interior. Internal walls unplastered. 5-bay arcades with clustered shafts of banded local polished limestone; stone-vaulted chancel with moulded ribs and polychromatic banding to the infill. Chancel enriched with mosaics: trefoil-headed frame to reredos with carved figures by Earp in deep relief; chancel walls with blind marble arcading; marble and tile flooring. Copies of original Burne Jones paintings on north and south walls; exceptionally fine 1865 Morris and Company east window; wrought-iron and brass sanctuary rail; chancel screen also of wrought-iron and brass with gabled arch into chancel; wrought-iron screen between chancel and south chapel. Nave fittings include octagonal freestone and local marble pulpit with mosaic inlay and a wrought-iron balustrade to the stairs. Octagonal local limestone and Italian marble font with trefoil-headed blind panels, mosiacs and a splendid AC Street wrought-iron font cover on a bracket. Full immersion font in local Torquay marble. Salviati mosaic panels in nave. Very fine set of STAINED GLASS: Burne Jones designed west window, other glass by Clayton & Bell. HISTORY: "One of the leading centres of late C19 Anglo-Catholicism" (Pevsner). Detailed account of building, including contractors, craftsmen, costs etc in RJE Boggis, History of St John's, Torquay (1930). (Boggis RJE: History of St John's Church, Torquay: 1930-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.849).

Listing NGR: SX9187963659

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390716
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Boggis, RJE , History of St Johns Church Torquay, (1930)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 849
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 849

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05498/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Dennis Coote. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].