PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206840
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1975
Date of most recent amendment:
03-May-1994
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, ST MATTHIAS CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206840.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2019 at 03:36:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHIAS, ST MATTHIAS CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 93191 64173

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/09/2012

SX9364 885-1/15/410 10/01/75

TORQUAY ST MATTHIAS CHURCH ROAD, Ilsham (South West side) Parish Church of St Matthias

(Formerly listed as Parish Church of St Matthew)

(Formerly Listed as ST MATTHIAS CHURCH ROAD, Ilsham Church of St Matthias)

GV II*

Parish church. 1858 to the designs of A Salvin; south aisle and south transept added 1865; chancel lengthened and other alterations 1882-1885 by JL Pearson; west bay and porch 1894 by Pearson. Local grey limestone rubble; Bathstone dressings; slate roofs. PLAN: Chancel; nave with 3-bay north and south aisles; north and south transepts, the north with a bellcote; north west porch; open northex at west end. EXTERIOR: Chancel lower than nave. Fine west end ensemble with triple 2-light Geometric Decorated west end windows, divided by buttresses above a 3-bay open arcaded narthex with moulded arches on cylindrical columns, the side walls rising as massive buttresses with set-offs. 4-light Decorated traceried windows with king mullions to west ends of aisles. Narthex with stone vaulted roof. North side (show front) with buttressed aisle, aisle roof concealed behind parapet; 3 one-light traceried clerestory windows; two 2-light traceried aisle windows. Western bay of aisle has gabled porch with angle buttresses with gabled finials; moulded doorway with bellflowers on octagonal shafts; gable with 3 nodding ogee statue niches with carved figures. North transept has 3-light window with intersecting tracery. Bell tower attached to west transept has a chamfered corner and octagonal base to belfry which has louvred trefoil-headed windows and a stone spire with lucarnes. Lean-to vestry to north side of chancel which has 4-light Decorated traceried east window with a moulded string stepping up below the sill. C20 church room attached to south-west side. INTERIOR: Moulded chancel arch on engaged columns with naturalistic foliage carving. 3-bay aisles with double hollow-chamfered arches on alternate cylindrical and octagonal columns with moulded capitals. Chancel roof a boarded, keeled wagon with moulded ribs and blind traceried wall panels; ceilure over sanctuary; keeled boarded wagon roof to nave with tie beam trusses on detached shafts. Chancel arch clad with timber tracery. Lean-to aisle roofs with traceried braces. Low arches into transepts. Good set of High Victorian fittings to the chancel. Marble and tile floor; 1882 alabaster reredos with statues by Hems of Exeter; chancel walls clad with moasics with alabaster frames, probably by Powe. Trefoil-headed sedilia and piscina. Wrought-iron sanctuary rail. Set of sturdy choir stalls with traceried panels; alabaster and wrought-iron chancel rail. Brass eagle lectern. Elaborate 1894 alabaster and local marble pulpit with figures of the evangelists; west end screen with glazed traceried panels. Fine set of C19 windows includes Clayton & Bell in the chancel, Drake in the aisle, west window probably to the designs of Morris Drake. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.851).

Listing NGR: SX9319164173

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390793
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 851
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 851

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Feb 2003
Reference: IOE01/09325/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Ben White. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].