1-15, WELLSWOOD PARK ROAD

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206876
Date first listed:
20-Nov-1952
Statutory Address:
1-15, WELLSWOOD PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of 1-15, WELLSWOOD PARK ROAD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206876 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 00:21:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
1-15, WELLSWOOD PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Torbay (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SX 92958 64064

Details

TORQUAY

SX9264SE WELLSWOOD PARK ROAD 885-1/21/308 (South side) 20/11/52 Nos.1-15 (Consecutive)

GV II*

3 terraces of 5 houses each. 1853, to the designs of the Harvey brothers. Stuccoed with traces of blocking out; slate roofs; stacks with rendered shafts with deep projecting cornices. PLAN: 3 terraces arranged round a 3 acre private park, each house with a small garden facing onto the park. The houses have an interesting plan form. Each is 2 rooms wide but 4 rooms deep, the centre rooms lit by light wells provided by a double roof structure which is not visible externally. Each house has a principal and service entrance from the road; service quarters making up the rear (road) part of one side. Suite of rooms off half-landing of stair provides 4 rooms at this level with an additional 3 or 4 on the first floor. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. Typical road elevation is 3 bays, broken forward and gabled to the front in the centre. Left and right pilasters; moulded cornice below parapet; platband below cornice. Segmental-headed central doorway with moulded architrave and recessed front door (with fanlight) mostly panelled (some half-glazed). Floating cornice on consoles over front door. First-floor centre window round-headed with a moulded architrave and double-hung sash with radial glazing bars. Recessed 12-pane sashes to first-floor left and right. 12-pane sash window to right of front door with sunk apron and floating cornice on moulded brackets. The service door, left of the front door, is also recessed with a plain overlight and flanked by fixed 8-pane windows with sunk aprons. Floating cornice on moulded brackets extends across door and windows. Front (garden) elevations have an eaves band and moulded eaves brackets, paired at the dividing pilasters which have pedimented gables; first-floor sill band; 4 first-floor 12-pane sashes with Venetian shutters. 3 ground-floor 4 over 6-pane sashes with proud architraves with floating cornices on consoles, one ground floor high-transomed French window. Most houses have 4-bay tent roof trellis verandahs. Most of the houses are very intact with regard to external detail, including old glass, bootscrapers etc, although some have minor alterations. No.7 is missing its roadside block. INTERIOR: One house only inspected (No.11). This retains good original joinery; doors and doorcases with masons' mitres; skirting boards; stair with turned balusters and mahogany ramped wreathed handrail and good plaster cornices in the principal rooms. Wellswood Park is a fine example of ingenious internal planning in a superior terrace. The relationship between the houses and park is an exceptionally attractive example of suburban design. (Buildings of England: Cherry B: Devon: London: 1952-1989: P.861).

Listing NGR: SX9295864064

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
390895
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South Devon, (1952), 861
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Devon, (1989), 861

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14721/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Keniston. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].