Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206909.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2021 at 13:35:25.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 91418 74014



SJ97SW CUMBERLAND STREET 886-1/4/82 (North side) 17/03/77 King's School (original block)


School. 1854-6 with later extensions and alterations. Original architect F Bellhouse. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Main school buildings comprise central full-height hall with full-height class rooms as aisles to each side, the left-hand gabled range a later addition dated 1886. Entrance in gabled porch to right of main hall, which has 3-light mullioned and transomed tiered window. Dated and with coat of arms in gable apex. Similar tiered window of 4-lights in left hand gable, which has smaller gables in left hand return. Right-hand range comprises a series of gables running at right angles to the main range, also with tiered mullioned and transomed windows. Beyond the main range to the left and rear, the former headmaster's house is probably a somewhat later addition, though in a similar style. Apparently L-plan (the original arrangement somewhat obscured by later additions), with 2 parallel gables projecting to the left, and doorway in angle. Canted bay window in gable wall, and gabled porch (possibly the original principal entrance) in the adjoining rear range. INTERIOR: the main school buildings have been bisected with inserted gallery floors, but retain the original roof structure with tie beams and principal trusses carried on cambered wall posts sprung from stone corbels. Traceried timberwork above each tie beam.

Listing NGR: SJ9139973984


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/99004/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Patricia Layhe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].