JORDANGATE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1206920
Date first listed:
14-Apr-1949
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
JORDANGATE HOUSE, JORDANGATE

Map

Ordnance survey map of JORDANGATE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206920 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 16:43:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
JORDANGATE HOUSE, JORDANGATE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 91727 73904

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173NE JORDANGATE 886-1/10/103 (East side) 14/04/49 Jordangate House (Formerly Listed as: JORDANGATE (East side) Peartree House)

GV II*

House, now in use as offices. Dated 1728, and with C19 alterations and additions. Brick with stone dressings and stone-flagged roof. 3 storeys, 5-window range double pile plan with central entrance hall. Central doorway with interlaced tracery to overlight in pedimented architrave with fluted Corinthian pilasters. Small single-storeyed extension to right hand, probably added in the later C18. Windows throughout are 12-pane sashes in moulded painted stone architraves with keyblocks linked to string courses over the ground and first floors. Painted stone angle quoins. Moulded cornice to parapet at eaves. Single long axial stack with 13 identical pots. C19 extension to rear left. INTERIOR: the central entrance lobby is divided from the stairhall by a moulded wood arch inlaid with marquetry. Staircase with moulded tread ends, swept rail and dado panelling. Some wall panelling and fireplaces also survive inside, including Gothick panelled archway inlaid with mirrors marking original building line in right-hand front room.

Listing NGR: SJ9172773904

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391009
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01620/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Patricia Layhe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].