MACCLESFIELD DISTRICT GENERAL HOSPITAL (ORIGINAL BLOCKS ONLY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206946
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1977
Date of most recent amendment:
28-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
MACCLESFIELD DISTRICT GENERAL HOSPITAL (ORIGINAL BLOCKS ONLY), PRESTBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MACCLESFIELD DISTRICT GENERAL HOSPITAL (ORIGINAL BLOCKS ONLY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206946.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2019 at 16:18:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
MACCLESFIELD DISTRICT GENERAL HOSPITAL (ORIGINAL BLOCKS ONLY), PRESTBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 90899 73929

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9073 PRESTBURY ROAD 886-1/6/180 (South side) 17/03/77 Macclesfield District General Hospital (original blocks only) (Formerly Listed as: PRESTBURY ROAD (South side) West Park Hospital (original portion only))

GV II

Former workhouse now part of hospital. 1843-5, with C20 alterations. Scott and Moffatt. Coursed and squared rubble with scallop tiled roofs. PLAN: symmetrically planned with long range running N-S with projecting wings. 3 storeys. Central double-gabled entrance and office block, originally dividing the female and male areas of the building. EXTERIOR: central 2-storeyed gabled porch with pinnacles to coped gable. Windows over entrance all 2-light mullions with shaped lights and drop-ended hoodmoulds. Lantern carrying clock over centre, with leaded base, and weather vane. Long ranges each side, with various small 2-light mullioned windows and some inserted openings. Axial stacks with single attic dormer window between them. These ranges formerly comprised male day rooms to south, female day rooms to north (Ordnance Survey, 1st edition, 1874). Projecting cross wings, then a continuation of the main range, formerly housing male and female school rooms. Cross wings are 2-and-a-half-storeyed, with coped gable in each face to front. Projecting gables over secondary doors on north and south elevations, and dormer windows to attic storey. Some alterations to fenestration, but many original mullioned windows survive. 4-centred arched doorways (blocked to front elevation) in angle with main range, linked across rear elevation to central rear wing by lean-to glazed verandahs. HISTORICAL NOTE: in 1874, the front wings housed infirm female and male day-rooms and bedrooms to north and south, the rear wings a nursery to the north, with tailor's shop to the south. These rear wings each a 4-window range continued (as a secondary phase after 1874) by single-storeyed blocks. On the axis of the entrance, the central rear wing housed kitchen in semi-basement with dining hall and chapel above. A detached block around a courtyard to the west of the main building was probably also part of the original plan, and in 1874 it housed the hospital accommodation together with the services (laundry, boiler house etc). 3 storeys, with original entrance (now altered) in west elevation between 2 shallow outer wings. Mainly refenestrated, though many of the original chamfered stone window openings survive. Extended successively during early C20 and not included in this listing.

Listing NGR: SJ9089973929

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391085
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/13470/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Terence Moors. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].