FORMER WESLEY CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1206955
Date first listed:
17-Mar-1977
Statutory Address:
FORMER WESLEY CHAPEL, SUNDERLAND STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER WESLEY CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206955 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:26:26.

Location

Statutory Address:
FORMER WESLEY CHAPEL, SUNDERLAND STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Cheshire East (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SJ 91944 73464

Details

MACCLESFIELD

SJ9173SE SUNDERLAND STREET 886-1/12/205 (East side) 17/03/77 Former Wesley Chapel (Formerly Listed as: SUNDERLAND STREET (East side) Wesley Chapel (Methodist) and Caretaker's House)

GV II

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, now snooker centre. Dated 1799, with C20 remodelling. Brick with Welsh slate roof. Pedimented gable faces Sunderland Street, 5-window returns expressed as 2-storeys. 4-bay elevation to street, with interlace tracery to upper windows, and simple Y-tracery to lower windows, which have painted stone aprons inscribed 'erected 1779' and 'enlarged 1799'. Return elevations have similar fenestration. Doorways in moulded stone architraves to north and south now disused, the present entrance in extension to rear. INTERIOR: the original interior has apparently been entirely gutted on adaptation to a new use.

Listing NGR: SJ9194473467

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391112
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/01616/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Patricia Layhe. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].