BAMPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATE PIERS AND GATEWAY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1206961

Date first listed: 04-Jul-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 30-Sep-1994

Statutory Address: BAMPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATE PIERS AND GATEWAY, 8, BAMPTON STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BAMPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATE PIERS AND GATEWAY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1206961 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Dec-2018 at 08:01:53.

Location

Statutory Address: BAMPTON HOUSE AND ATTACHED GATE PIERS AND GATEWAY, 8, BAMPTON STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Somerset

District: West Somerset (District Authority)

Parish: Minehead

National Grid Reference: SS 96696 46078

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MINEHEAD

SS9646 BAMPTON STREET 900-1/3/2 (West side) 04/07/52 No.8 Bampton House and attached gate piers and gateway (Formerly Listed as: BAMPTON STREET (West side) No.8 Bampton House including yard gateway to right)

GV II

House. Early C18, altered C19 and 1992. Rendered rubble with slate roofs and brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2 storeys with attic; 6-window range. 1992 paired 6/6-pane sash windows, 2 to the left and 3 to the right of the door. Rusticated quoins. The C19 central pedimented gable has a tall semicircular-arched window with a cast-iron balustrade to the lower part, raised voussoirs and a mask keystone. To the right a wide segmental-arched carriage entrance with a lion's head to the centre and tiled coping is flanked by piers with pineapple finials. To the first floor of the right return is a late C19 oriel window. Rusticated quoins not visible, covered by rendering. INTERIOR is in the process of being altered to accommodation for people with special needs, the staircase etc has been removed. HISTORY: this is thought to be part of the property leased by Samuel Hayman from Colonel Francis Luttrell in 1683. A description exists of a good tenement in Friday Street having a large court and a planked storehouse and two lofts above, a bakehouse and a stable, with other property and land in Bampton Street. (Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 175).

Listing NGR: SS9669646078

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391127

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Binding, H, Minehead A New History, (1977), 175

End of official listing