STATUE OF QUEEN ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207015
Date first listed:
04-Jul-1952
Statutory Address:
STATUE OF QUEEN ANNE, WELLINGTON

Map

Ordnance survey map of STATUE OF QUEEN ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207015 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 05:53:21.

Location

Statutory Address:
STATUE OF QUEEN ANNE, WELLINGTON

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
West Somerset (District Authority)
Parish:
Minehead
National Grid Reference:
SS 96773 46166

Details

MINEHEAD

SS9646 WELLINGTON SQUARE 900-1/3/115 (South side) 04/07/52 Statue of Queen Anne

GV II*

Statue of Queen Anne. 1719, by Francis Bird. Alabaster. The over-life-size standing figure of Queen Anne is in full court dress with regalia. Pedestal and canopy 1893, by H Dare Bryan. Marble and freestone. The statue stands on a cuboid marble plinth with a moulded cornice. Behind it is an ashlar wall approx 5m high, with a dentilled pediment and cornice over an inscription in Art Nouveau lettering with date. A half dome with a triglyph frieze and cornice over the statue is supported by 4 marble columns resting on a pierced balustrade to the front. HISTORY: Sir Joseph Bancks, MP for Minehead 1698-1713, commissioned Francis Bird in 1719 to make a statue of Queen Anne similar to that in St Paul's Cathedral. Originally placed in St Michael's Church, St Michael's Road (qv), it was moved to Wellington Square in 1893.

Listing NGR: SS9677346166

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391272
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 12 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00044/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr R.M Rayner. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].