ST MARGARETS HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207020
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1993
Statutory Address:
ST MARGARETS HOUSE, GORDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ST MARGARETS HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207020 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 06:33:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
ST MARGARETS HOUSE, GORDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TM 55022 93186

Details

LOWESTOFT

TM5593SW GORDON ROAD 914-1/9/8 (North East side) St Margaret's House

II

Formerly known as: St Margaret's Villa THE MARINA. Villa, now Local Government Offices. 1865 for Rev. Charles Herbert (rector of Lowestoft 1860-70). Gault brick with dark brick dressings. Slate roof. 2 storeys. Entrance front of 3 elements. In centre is the half-glazed entrance door under a round arch with a round-headed sash above, without glazing bars. Full-height canted bays right and left pierced by 2/2 sashes, those to the ground floor altered. Punched parapet obscures gabled roof. Ridge stack set to left. Left of this centrepiece is a 2-storey, single-bay wing set gable-end to front. Tripartite sash to ground floor, 2-light cross casements to upper floor, both with minimal glazing bars. Parapet with central low pediment. To the right of the centrepiece is a 3-stage look-out tower, of square section broaching into an octagonal plan at lantern stage. First 2 storeys lit through pointed lancets, lantern with alternate round and square-headed sashes. INTERIOR. Entrance hall with 2 fluted Roman Doric columns and 2 similar pilasters against the east wall only. Stick baluster staircase with ramped and wreathed handrail. East ground-floor room with coving and plaster cornice. Minimal cornices elsewhere.

Listing NGR: TM5502293186

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391286
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/15353/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Grint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].