ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207040
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1993
Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, PAKEFIELD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207040 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2019 at 02:35:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, PAKEFIELD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Waveney (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TM5407591128

Details

TM 59 SW 914-1/3/110

LOWESTOFT PAKEFIELD ROAD (South West side) Kirkley Roman Catholic Church of St Nicholas (Formerly listed as South Cliff United Reform Church)

II Formerly known as: South Cliff Congregational Church PAKEFIELD ROAD. Church. 1900-3, with extension of 1949. By G.Baines. Red brick with stone dressings and slate roof with terracotta flashings. Arts and Crafts style. Nave, chancel and small ritual south-west tower. Windows in Perpendicular style with hoodmoulds. West end has 7-light window with jambs rising above gable as small pinnacles. Minature octagonal tower to left has ogee roof with finial. 3-stage tower to right has diagonal buttresses, single-light windows, bell chamber openings, ornamental parapet and inset spirelet. Nave sides are both similar with the addition of elaborate porch to north. 3- and 4-light windows, the latter in paired transept-like gables. Roof has octagonal lantern and fleche. Extensions to east.

INTERIOR: arcades formed by tapering posts. False hammerbeam roof and boarded ceiling. Naturalistic foliage corbels to transept arch.

Listing NGR: TM5407591128

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391345
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15353/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Grint. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].