Galen Building with steps, walls and railings attached

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207084
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
Galen Building with steps, walls and railings attached, Green Terrace

Map

Ordnance survey map of Galen Building with steps, walls and railings attached
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207084 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Aug-2019 at 16:30:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
Galen Building with steps, walls and railings attached, Green Terrace

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39336 56759

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3956NW GREEN TERRACE 920-1/19/94 (East side) Galen Building with steps, walls and railings attached

II

(Formerly listed as Galen Building Sunderland Polytechnic with steps, walls and railings attached) Formerly known as: Technical College HIND STREET. Technical college, in use as a polytechnic building at the time of listing, with steps, piers, walls and railings attached. Dated 1900 and, on right return, 1928. Foundation stone 1899, opened 1901, with provision made for extension on site. By AW Hennings of Potts, Son and Hennings. Flemish bond bright red brick with yellow terracotta quoins, strings and dressings; roof of plain tiled with terracotta cresting; steel and concrete floors. C17 style. EXTERIOR: basement and 2 storeys, 1:2:3:2:1 windows; right 4 storey one-window tower. Main block has parapet with ogee pediments over projecting 2-window sections. Steps up to elaborate porch at right of main block: double panelled doors and overlight in keyed architrave, high plinth to columns in antis supporting entablature with low-relief `TECHNICAL COLLEGE' in terracotta; shaped parapet above has scrolled pediment over borough arms. Ogee-moulded mullion and transom windows except central 3 on first floor which are round-headed with keyed architraves on impost string and have Renaissance ornament to aprons; all sashes with upper glazing bars. Floor and sill cornices; eaves cornice, on modillions in projecting sections. Tower has 3-light basement window, round-headed ground-floor window with casements below radiating glazing bars of transom light, 4-light mullion and transom in third stage and bracketed clock in top stage with paired pilasters with free Corinthian capitals supporting entablature and parapet with panelled corners and central cartouches. High hipped roof has low, corniced dormers with glazing bars; high ridge plinth with dentils and swan-neck pediments supporting domed arcaded lantern. Tower has raised dome. WALLS & RAILINGS: piers, dwarf walls and railings attached: rusticated square red sandstone piers, each with pulvinated frieze, ogee coping and ball finial; stone steps to porch and at left end. Brick walls from porch to left steps and returning on right to enclose entire right return have chamfered red sanstone coping; spike-headed wrought-iron railings on walls have scrolled stays and intermediate panels to section around front and tower; plainer beyond these on right return. Built under powers granted to Local Authorities by the Local Taxation (Customs and Excise) Act of 1890 to draw on central funds for technical education. (Spotlight: Potts G: Sunderland: 7).

Listing NGR: NZ3933656759

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391467
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Potts, G, 'Spotlight' in Spotlight, (), 7

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03868/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].