WALL AND PIER AT LOCK AT NORTH END OF TIDE BASIN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207112
Date first listed:
26-Nov-1990
Statutory Address:
WALL AND PIER AT LOCK AT NORTH END OF TIDE BASIN, NORTH HALF TIDE BASIN

Map

Ordnance survey map of WALL AND PIER AT LOCK AT NORTH END OF TIDE BASIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207112 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2019 at 16:41:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
WALL AND PIER AT LOCK AT NORTH END OF TIDE BASIN, NORTH HALF TIDE BASIN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 40882 57809

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ4057 NORTH HALF TIDE BASIN 920-1/12/116 (North side) 26/11/90 Wall and pier at lock at north end of tide basin

GV II

Lock. 1890. For the River Wear Commissioners. Steel gates (replaced 1955) and ashlar walls; hydraulic machinery. High ashlar walls and central pier; two sets of gates. Lock installed at the same time as the swing bridge between the half tide basin and Hudson Dock North (qv) and operated by the same engine and accumulator housed in the Dock Office (qv). An early example of dock machinery operated by the hydraulic system which Sir William Armstrong invented and developed. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1983-: 18; Milburn GE and Miller ST: Sunderland River, Town and People: Sunderland: 1988-: 17).

Listing NGR: NZ4088257809

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391541
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 18
Milburn, , Miller, , Sunderland River Town and People, (1988), 17

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/03176/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].