WEBSTERS ROPERY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207121
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Statutory Address:
WEBSTERS ROPERY, ROPERY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEBSTERS ROPERY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 06:07:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEBSTERS ROPERY, ROPERY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 38494 57848

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3857 ROPERY ROAD 920-1/10/183 (North side (off)) 10/11/78 Websters' Ropery

GV II

Ropery building, now offices. c1793. For Messrs. Webster and Grimshaw; restored 1985-7 by Sunderland Borough Council. Coursed squared stone with ashlar dressings; rubble returns and rear; Welsh slate roof with ashlar copings. 4 storeys, 11 windows. 5 central bays project slightly; keyed round arches with plain stone heads on impost blocks in bays 4 and 8 have recessed renewed doors. Painted metal windows, those on ground floor longer and on top floor shorter than the intermediate windows, were originally iron, and have glazing bars and pivoted central sections. Roof on paired plain brackets has end gable copings on plain kneelers. Gabled rear wing has wedge stone lintels to windows. This was built for the manufacture of ropes using the first machine rope-making process in the world, patented in 1793 by Richard Fothergill; in 1795 it received the first steam engine to be installed in a ropeworks. (Milburn GE and Miller ST: Sunderland River, Town and People: Sunderland: 1988-: 29; In Trust: 2 June 1976: Newcastle upon Tyne).

Listing NGR: NZ3849457848

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391562
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Milburn, , Miller, , Sunderland River Town and People, (1988)
'In Trust' in 2 June, (1976)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05481/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].