FULWELL WATER PUMPING STATION ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE WITH STEPS ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207128
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
FULWELL WATER PUMPING STATION ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE WITH STEPS ATTACHED, SHIELDS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of FULWELL WATER PUMPING STATION ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE WITH STEPS ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207128.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 23:53:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
FULWELL WATER PUMPING STATION ENGINE HOUSE AND BOILER HOUSE WITH STEPS ATTACHED, SHIELDS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 38923 60616

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ36SE SHIELDS ROAD, Fulwell 920-1/1/252 (West side) 10/11/78 Fulwell Water Pumping Station engine house and boiler house with steps attached (Formerly Listed as: SHIELDS ROAD (West side) Fulwell Pumping Station)

GV II

Engine and boiler house to water pumping station with steps attached. 1852. By Thomas Hawksley. Brick, diaper work in tower, with ashlar plinth and dressings; Welsh slate roof with ridge copings. C13 fortified Gothic style. EXTERIOR: 2-storey, 4-window engine house; 2 boiler house ranges of one storey. Ashlar coping of plinth contiues along dwarf walls flanking steps up to boarded double N door of engine house. High door has elaborate wrought-iron hinges; pointed arched surround has deep roll mouldings, the central interrupted by foliage capitals, and ball-flower stopped dripmould. Buttresses with large irregular quoins have 2 coped set-backs, the second just above coped set-back to first floor level; three 4-centred-arched lights in irregular stone jambs on first floor under one flat stone lintel; corbel table above to coped parapet which rises from buttresses. Steeply pitched hipped roof with roll-moulded ridge coping. Returns have similar end and central buttresses, set-back first floor and corbelled parapet, and lancets on ground floor and 4-centred lights above; 4 windows on right return, 3 on left return, the SE square tower abutting at left end. Tower has high stepped plinth; irregular quoins; diaper pattern brickwork; lancets in full-height first stage; roof removed. 2 boiler house ranges at right angles to engine house have 4-centred-arched entrances on E side, paired shouldered lights on W with trefoils above, under gables; roofs have decorative terracotta ridge cresting. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914: Newcastle: 1983-: 19).

Listing NGR: NZ3892360616

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391588
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 19

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2006
Reference: IOE01/14822/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].