WEST PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207132
Date first listed:
10-Nov-1978
Date of most recent amendment:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
WEST PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, STOCKTON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WEST PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207132 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Aug-2019 at 17:03:44.

Location

Statutory Address:
WEST PARK UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, STOCKTON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39510 56518

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3956NE STOCKTON ROAD 920-1/20/212 (East side) 10/11/78 West Park United Reformed Church (Formerly Listed as: COWAN TERRACE (South side) West Park United Reformed Church)

GV II

Congregational church, now United Reformed Church. 1881-83. By JP Pritchett. Coursed rock-faced stone with ashlar plinth and dressings and red granite shafts; graduated Lakeland slate roof with stone gable copings. E apsed chancel with schoolrooms in 2-storey ambulatory; double transepts; aisled nave; NW tower and SW porch with half-octagonal stair turret projections. Late C14 style with geometric tracery. EXTERIOR: steps up to W door, with tendril cast-iron hinges and cross scutcheons, recessed in gabled projection between nook-shafts in deep arch with dripmould above, and inner rib-moulding resting on crocket capitals of intermediate shafts. Crocketed gable over door; small windows at sides. Similar treatment to smaller doors in flanking tower at left and porch at right. Tall 5-light W window. 5-stage tower has paired cusped lancets in second stage, 2-light third stage window, clock in fourth, paired belfry openings in fifth with nook-shafts and plate tracery; ashlar spire has 4 bands of fish-scale patter, 2 levels of lucarnes, tall corner spirelets. 2-light aisle windows and 3-light paired transept windows on 2 levels, the lower cusped lights and the upper cusped with tracery. 2 long windows to school stairs in `ambulatory' which has paired cusped lights on 2 levels. Polygonal hipped ambulatory roof from which rises steeply-pitched hipped chancel roof with cusped tracery in big 2-light gabled lucarnes; paired gables on transepts; steeply-pitched nave roof; pent stair turret roofs against tower and porch. INTERIOR shows meeting rooms and school rooms in ambulatory have much original Gothic-style detail, including cast-iron piers with octagonal base and fluted capital, stair balustrade with twisted cast-iron balusters, 6-panelled doors including pierced door to kitchen, dumb waiter, chimney-pieces, boarded dado with wall bench, original heating system vents, levers and vanes; upper central meeting room with hammer beam roof to lucarnes. Chapel interior shows 5-light W window behind fine Renaissance-style organ by Nelson & Co., Durham; high W roll-moulded arch with inner arch on corbelled shafts. 2 tiers of slender cast-iron piers with crocket capitals support galleries along all 3 sides, the W over entrance vestibules; upper arcades; plinths of upper piers painted with passion flowers and scrolled names of virtues. Boarded hammer beam roof. Deacons' seats below high quality central E pulpit of fine ashlar stone with green marble shafts to blind pierced arcade with much decorative carving in North Italian style; shows some subsidence damage at time of survey. High quality painted glass includes W window scene across all 5 panels, dated 1902, showing Christ in Glory; N transept gallery Sermon on the Mount, and Christ's Charge to Peter and John, signed Atkinson Bros.; N aisle window by J Eadie Reed dated 1926. Also several C19 memorial slabs. (Milburn GE and Miller ST: Sunderland River, Town and People: Sunderland: 1988-: 159).

Listing NGR: NZ3951056518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391597
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Milburn, , Miller, , Sunderland River Town and People, (1988), 159

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/03868/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].