Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207137.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Oct-2020 at 23:48:40.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 40084 56778



NZ4056 TATHAM STREET 920-1/14/217 (West side) 10/11/78 Bethesda Free Church (Formerly Listed as: TATHAM STREET (West side) Bethesda Chapel)


Bethesda Free Chapel, now known as Bethesda Free Church. 1844-5; side galleries 1852. For AA Rees. Dated 1844 in pediment. Garden wall bond brick (5 and one) and limestone rubble returns, rendered rear, with ashlar sandstone plinth and painted ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof. EXTERIOR: ritual west to street has 2 stories; 3 windows and set-back sides. Pedimented centre has recessed central bay with steps up to 6-panelled double door and 2-pane overlight recessed under cornice on scroll brackets; renewed window above has shallow segmental head in wedge stone lintel, and projecting stone sill. Similar windows in flanking bays which project slightly, all 3 bays under pediment and a bracketed top panel with low relief BETHESDA/FREE CHAPEL filling the centre; panel in pediment has 1844 in low relief letters. Flanking set back section blank with prominent eaves cornice and blocking course. INTERIOR shows fluted iron columns, mostly now cased-in, supporting gallery round 3 sides. Baptismal pool. Memorial to AA Rees d.1884. Pews renewed. Building paid for by the minister who established it, Arthur Augustus Rees, on land bought from a local Quaker family, Cable Wilson. (Brockie W: Memoirs of Arthur Augustus Rees(Information from Mr. E Turner): 1884-).

Listing NGR: NZ4008456778


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Brockie, W, Memoirs of Arthur Augustus Rees, (1884)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Apr 2002
Reference: IOE01/05481/09
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr D.H. Bottoms. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].