POST OFFICE AND RAILINGS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207149
Date first listed:
17-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
POST OFFICE AND RAILINGS, WEST SUNNISIDE

Map

Ordnance survey map of POST OFFICE AND RAILINGS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207149 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 08:15:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
POST OFFICE AND RAILINGS, WEST SUNNISIDE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Sunderland (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 39954 57076

Details

SUNDERLAND

NZ3957SE WEST SUNNISIDE 920-1/18/241 (East side) Post Office and railings

II

General post office, now local delivery office, and railings. 1903. By Sir Henry Tanner. Sandstone ashlar with red granite door architraves to main block; graduated Lakeland slate roof with ashlar chimneys and copper ridge; cast-iron railings. EXTERIOR: main block at right 3 storeys, 1:2:3x1:3:1 windows; left sorting office one storey, 3:3:3:3 windows. Main block has panelled door at right of right 3-bay gabled section, in architrave under bracketed cornice; mullioned and transomed windows to left and in bracketed first floor oriels in outer bays flanking arched recess with low relief POST OFFICE, sill strings continuing from plinths of pilasters. These 3 bays are linked by bracketed cornice breaking forward over Tuscan pilasters defining bays and surmounted by corniced blocking course with small pedimented arches above windows. Second floor has 3 pairs of windows under bracketed cornice; shaped gable has side consoles and raised top panel framing attached Corinthian columns of arched window surround with high pediment. Left one-bay gabled bay section in similar style has a 3-light window in first floor oriel, and simpler gable with 3 small lights and high pediment. 2-bay section set back between the gabled bays has arcaded ground floor with panelled door at left and window in recess at right, and 2-light windows above, the right first floor bay blank.Steeply-pitched roofs run back from gables and have chimneys above eaves, and high domed ridge lantern. Right return to public garden has simpler centre and pilastered outer sections with Tuscan below and Corinthian order on first floor, and top floor has lunettes between big consoles on dentilled first-floor cornice. One-storey block behind main office has keyed architraves to round-arched windows in left part, with outer bays breaking forward under pediments, and 3 gabled set back sections each with 3 windows,the central under lunettes in pedimented pilastered centres, all with sill string. Railings punctuated by patterned panels link projecting sections on West Sunniside and continue around right return. Rear to Norfolk Street is mostly a mirror image of the West Sunniside front. (Corfe T: The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914.: Newcastle upon Tyne: 1983-: 30).

Listing NGR: NZ3995457076

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391650
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Corfe, T, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914, (1983), 30

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01196/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr B.G. Carroll. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].