BRIDGE STREET METHODIST CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207160
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
BRIDGE STREET METHODIST CHURCH, BRIDGE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGE STREET METHODIST CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207160.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2019 at 12:52:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGE STREET METHODIST CHURCH, BRIDGE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SK5416961075

Details

SK5461 924-1/6/16

MANSFIELD BRIDGE STREET (North side) Bridge Street Methodist Church

GV II

Methodist church. 1864. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. Italianate style. Plinth and eaves band. 2 storeys; 3 x 6 windows. 3-bay west front has first-floor band and moulded cornice, with pierced balustrade and corner pedestals topped with urns. Recessed central bay has a portico in antis with 2 columns and pilasters with Corinthian capitals. On either side, a segment-headed double door. Above, a round-arched triple window with polychrome head, hoodmould and central keystone. Cornice dated 1864 in Roman numerals. Side bays have rusticated pilasters with scroll brackets to the cornice. Single round-arched windows with polychrome heads, keystones and hoodmoulds, and below, triangular-headed windows with hoodmoulds. Each return has a similar single window on each floor. On either side, 6 round-headed windows with keystones and below, 6 triangular-headed windows. East end has a central projection with lean-to roof and a central gable containing a round window. On either side, a single round-headed window. INTERIOR has moulded cornice and cross beam ceiling with oval ventilators. Panelled gallery, curved at the rear, with fleurons and dentillated top edge, carried on twisted cast-iron columns with composite capitals. At each end 2 doors, those to rear with cornices. At the front, enriched panelled choir gallery on cast-iron brackets. Above, panelled elliptical arch with enriched spandrels and panelled pilasters with composite capitals, framing central round window flanked by single round-headed windows. At the rear, central stained-glass window and above, triple round-headed window flanked by similar single windows. Ground floor has stained-glass windows, late C19 and early C20. Gallery side windows have stained-glass memorial panels. Entrance lobbies have wooden dogleg stairs with stick balusters and ramped handrails, and double doors to gallery. FITTINGS: circular rostrum with ornate cast-iron railing. Square wooden pulpit on tapered wooden base flanked by square pedestals with Ionic corner columns and ornate cast-iron railing. On the front of each pedestal, a bronze war memorial plaque under a wooden pediment. Matching communion table. Box pews throughout. MEMORIALS include a resited marble tablet, 1818, and 6 small brasses and tablets. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N & Williamson E: Nottinghamshire: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 170).

Listing NGR: SK5416961075

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391670
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 170
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/26980

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12593/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email EnrichingTheList[email protected].