PROBATE OFFICE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207178

Date first listed: 17-Mar-1978

Date of most recent amendment: 21-Mar-1994

Statutory Address: PROBATE OFFICE, MARKET PLACE

Map

Ordnance survey map of PROBATE OFFICE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Dec-2018 at 05:01:49.

Location

Statutory Address: PROBATE OFFICE, MARKET PLACE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Mansfield (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SK 53806 61050

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MANSFIELD

SK5361 MARKET PLACE 924-1/5/67 (South West side) 17/03/78 Probate Office (Formerly Listed as: MARKET PLACE (West side) County Court House)

GV II

Former savings bank and courthouse, now probate office. 1840, with alterations 1867. Ashlar, with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof with 2 coped ashlar side wall stacks. Rusticated plinth, string courses and sill bands, dentillated main cornice. 2 storeys; 3-window range of unusual wooden-framed cross casements, with projecting surrounds and pediments. Central portico with Doric pilasters and cornice, covering a fielded 8-panel door with margin-glazed overlight. On either side, a 12-pane sash with flanking pilasters and small cornice, set in a recessed panel. Left return has a pedimented cross casement to left. Below, a pair of 12-pane sashes similar to those at the front. Lower set back rear range has dentillated eaves and two 12-pane sashes on each floor. At the rear, 2 hipped 2-storey pavilions, the left one with a 12-pane sash. Central moulded round-cornered doorway with stencilled pattern, dated 1867. (Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire: Williamson E: Harmondsworth: 1979-: 171).

Listing NGR: SK5380661050

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391727

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Nottinghamshire, (1979), 171

End of official listing