CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE THE MARTYR

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207186
Date first listed:
21-Mar-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE THE MARTYR, PECK'S HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE THE MARTYR
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207186 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Aug-2019 at 12:39:17.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE THE MARTYR, PECK'S HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Nottinghamshire
District:
Mansfield (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 54996 61068

Details

MANSFIELD

SK5461 PECK'S HILL 924-1/6/93 (South East side) Church of St Lawrence the Martyr

GV II

Parish church. Dated 1909. Random squared stone with ashlar dressings and plain tile roofs with gutters on brackets. Free Gothic style. Nave and chancel, transepts, west porch, south west tower. Chancel has blank sides, and plain graduated triple lancet to east. North transept has 2 single lancets to north, with hoodmoulds, and to west, a blocked arch. South transept has a 4-light flat-headed mullioned window with label mould, and a single smaller window to right. Nave has on either side 2 single lancets flanked by single segmental pointed-arch 3-light windows and beyond, single lancets. South side has, to east, a pointed arched door with flat-headed surround. West end has a graduated triple lancet. Below it, a lean-to porch with a coped gable. Moulded segment-arched double door with to left a 3-light mullioned window with 3 square openings below it. Right return has a single lancet. Square south-west tower, 3 stages, has chamfered north-east corner, impost band, parapet with moulded stepped coping, and corner stack. Pointed-arched double door with hoodmould, and above, a single lancet with label mould. Bell stage has a flat-headed louvred double opening on each side. Parapet has recessed panel with cross, on each side. INTERIOR: nave has principal rafter roof with tie beams, and strutted kingposts under the purlins. Round-arched plaster ceiling above the purlin. Narrower chancel has similar round arch with wooden ribs. Nave has painted brick walls. North side has stained glass window, 1952. South side has pointed doorway to east. At west end, triple lancet above and below, central round-arched opening to baptistry, with inscribed moulded war memorial panels on either side and a stained-glass memorial window and brasses, 1949. Beyond, on either side, segment-headed double doors. Chancel opening has plain ashlar piers, the south one with a pointed arched doorway. East end has stained-glass window, c1909. North side has recess containing organ. South side has chamfered pointed double aumbry and piscina. To west, a recess with wooden lintel and pointed arched door to vestry in transept. FITTINGS include octagonal eggcup font with moulded top, dated 1662. Panelled wooden pulpit, altar rail, stalls and desks with shaped ends, wooden eagle lectern and chairs, early and mid C20.

Listing NGR: SK5499661068

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391751
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 30 October 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/27008

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Aug 2004
Reference: IOE01/11299/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].