THE OLD HALL INN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207212
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Statutory Address:
THE OLD HALL INN, HEYSHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD HALL INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207212 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 05:42:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE OLD HALL INN, HEYSHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Lancaster (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 41478 61158

Details

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

SD4061 HEYSHAM ROAD, Heysham 939-1/7/11 The Old Hall Inn 29/12/50

II*

Public House, formerly house. 1598 with additions of 1898. Roughly square sandstone with stone slate roof. Half-H (hall range and crosswings) plan. 2 storeys with attic. Cross-wings each of one bay, with one-bay recessed centre. All windows have rebated and chamfered surrounds, mullions, hood moulds, and leaded glazing. All are of 5 lights divided by a transom, except for attic windows to the cross wings, which are mullioned and of 3 lights. The masonry of the left-hand cross-wing continues to the right across a 2-storey porch under a separate gable, which is blind except for a Tudor-arched doorway. The gables have copings and finials. Above the right-hand attic window are two stones inscribed '1598' and 'RE RE RS'. Projecting chimneystacks on the outside walls of the cross wings have diagonal shafts. Adjoining to the rear of the left-hand cross-wing is an extension in a similar style, dated by a plaque in its gable chimneystack: 'CTR 1898'. Interior: inner porch doorway moulded and Tudor-arched. Dividing walls between the cross wings and the hall on the ground floor are now removed to form large bar area with beamed ceiling. Rear wall contains wide chamfered fireplace with Tudor arch. Fireplace to right-hand cross-wing is smaller, moulded, and Tudor-arched. Other parts of interior not examined.

Listing NGR: SD4147861158

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391823
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 18 Mar 2001
Reference: IOE01/03214/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Charles Satterly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].