FORMER STATION BUILDING AND LIGHTHOUSE, STONE JETTY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207223

Date first listed: 20-Jan-1993

Statutory Address: FORMER STATION BUILDING AND LIGHTHOUSE, STONE JETTY, MARINE ROAD CENTRAL

Map

Ordnance survey map of FORMER STATION BUILDING AND LIGHTHOUSE, STONE JETTY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207223 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Dec-2018 at 01:17:33.

Location

Statutory Address: FORMER STATION BUILDING AND LIGHTHOUSE, STONE JETTY, MARINE ROAD CENTRAL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Lancaster (District Authority)

Parish: Morecambe

National Grid Reference: SD 42624 64633

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MORECAMBE AND HEYSHAM

SD4264 MARINE ROAD CENTRAL, Morecambe 939-1/5/41 (North side (off)) Former station building and lighthouse, stone jetty

II

Former station and lighthouse, now used for fish storage. Station building early 1850s, with lighthouse added shortly afterwards. Coursed squared sandstone with slate roof. Single-storey station. On the north-east side, facing the jetty, the roof overhangs to form a canopy. The door and window openings have painted stone surrounds and the windows have external shutters. There are windows separating the 4 doors, with 2 further windows to the right and with paired window openings between the 1st and 2nd doors. Early photographs show the facade to be relatively unaltered, apart from the enlargement of window openings and removal of chimney caps. The left-hand gable wall, facing the land, has 2 window openings separated by a central mullion. The right-hand gable wall contains 2 doorways and 2 windows, all partly filled with masonry. The south-west wall, close to the edge of the jetty, contains 6 windows with stone surrounds. 2 with central mullions dividing them into 2 lights. Adjoining the west end, and linked to it by the handrail of the walkway, is a lighthouse with a square base broached to an octagonal tower of rock-faced sandstone. The walkway is treated as a moulded capital and carries iron railings. The lantern has a white-painted ogee cap with finial. During 1852 a goods warehouse and crane was erected on the jetty whose construction was legalised by the North Western Railway Act of 1852, and a steamer service was then operating to Peel and to the north of Ireland. (Baughan P E: The Midland Railway North of Leeds: 1987-: 293).

Listing NGR: SD4262464633

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391853

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baughan, P E , The Midland Railway North of Leeds, (1987), 293

End of official listing