BOER WAR MEMORIAL, APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES SOUTH OF OVERLEIGH HOUSE(NOT INCLUDED)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207232

Date first listed: 20-Dec-1991

Statutory Address: BOER WAR MEMORIAL, APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES SOUTH OF OVERLEIGH HOUSE(NOT INCLUDED), AVENHAM PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of BOER WAR MEMORIAL, APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES SOUTH OF OVERLEIGH HOUSE(NOT INCLUDED)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207232 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 12:05:08.

Location

Statutory Address: BOER WAR MEMORIAL, APPROXIMATELY 75 METRES SOUTH OF OVERLEIGH HOUSE(NOT INCLUDED), AVENHAM PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 53763 28806

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD5328NE AVENHAM PARK 941-1/13/7 (North West side) Boer War Memorial, approx.75 metres south of Overleigh House (not included)

GV II

War memorial. 1904, by T.Hodgkinson, sculptor, of Preston. Grey granite, and polished red and pink granite, with bronze plaques. Obelisk form, 25 feet high, consisting of 2 square steps of unpolished grey granite, a short square pedestal of polished red granite with moulded base and cornice which has panelled sides containing lettered bronze plaques, and an obelisk of polished pink Scotch granite (from Peterhead quarries). The bronze plaques have raised lettering and decoration, that on the south side reading: "IN MEMORY OF / THE OFFICERS, NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS AND MEN / LOYAL NORTH LANCASHIRE REGIMENT / WHO LOST THEIR LIVES IN THE SERVICE OF THEIR COUNTRY / DURING THE / SOUTH AFRICAN WAR 1899-1902 / ERECTED BY THEIR COMRADES"; the plaques in the other 3 sides list the names by Battalion. Originally situated in the Market Place and probably removed to this site in 1926, when the Cenotaph was erected.

Listing NGR: SD5376328806

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 2 February 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391878

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Websites
War Memorials Online, accessed 2 February 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/165853
War Memorials Register, accessed 2 February 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/3345
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 25 Lancashire,

End of official listing