CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1207244
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BLACKPOOL ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207244 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Aug-2019 at 20:34:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BLACKPOOL ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 51589 30531

Details

PRESTON

SD53SW BLACKPOOL ROAD, Ashton On Ribble 941-1/1/309 (South side) 27/09/79 Church of St Andrew

GV II

Parish church of Ashton-on-Ribble. 1836, enlarged and altered 1873-4 by Ewan Christian, vestry added 1902. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, small west tower; wide north aisle added 1874, north organ house dated 1874 on rainwater head; vestry beyond this dated 1902 similarly. Romanesque tower, otherwise simple Early English style. Square 3-stage tower with clasping buttresses to 1st stage, set-back belfry stage, and short broach spire; 2 round-headed lancets to the 1st stage, one similar but larger window to the 2nd stage, with a hoodmould, and triple round-headed louvred lancets to the belfry. Nave, 4 bays, with buttresses (except at corners), has 2-centred arched windows with hoodmoulds and simple plate-tracery, all 2 lights except that in wider east bay which has 3 lights. North aisle in matching style, with gabled porch to west bay. INTERIOR: nave and aisle have arch-braced king-post roofs with curved struts; round-headed tower arch; 4-bay aisle arcade with stout cylindrical piers of polished pink granite carrying low 2-centred double-chamfered arches; chancel arch similar but larger, and with semi-columns of polished granite; chancel with sedilia, north arch to organ house, and wagon roof. Good wall monuments to various members of the Pedder family of Ashton Lodge (Pedder Lane, q.v.), including: Jane Pedder (d.1838), wall tablet surmounted by draped urn; James Pedder (d.1846), large monument with white tablet in sarcophagus form surmounted by woman weeping over broken Corinthian column (both these by C.Lewis of Cheltenham); Captain Thomas Pedder (d.1858), a white marble relief with sarcophagus flanked by military weepers and with inscription recording that he died of sunstroke after participating in the Relief of Lucknow during the Indian Mutiny (by H.Weekes); Richard Newsham Pedder of 8th Irish Hussars, (d.Calcutta 1863), wall tablet surmounted by trophies, helmets etc; also Herbert Davies M.B.,CH.B. (d.1900) in Orange River Colony, of dysentery, while serving as civil surgeon in Transvaal War, wall tablet with profile in relief.

Listing NGR: SD5158930531

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391905
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01753/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr K. Foster. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].