CHURCH OF ST WILFRID

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1207254
Date first listed:
27-Sep-1979
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHAPEL STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WILFRID
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207254.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 13:11:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, CHAPEL STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lancashire
District:
Preston (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SD 53765 29221

Details

PRESTON

SD5329SE CHAPEL STREET 941-1/11/67 (East side) 27/09/79 Church of St Wilfrid

GV II*

Roman Catholic church. 1793, rebuilt 1879-80 by Ignatius Scoles and S.J.Nichols. Red brick with much buff terracotta cladding and dressings, slate roof. Nave on north-south axis, with east and west aisles, east chapels and south apse. Italian basilica style. Six-bay nave embraced by tall aisles. High plinth dressed with sandstone, then rusticated terracotta to ground floor level, with bands, frieze and cornice of matching material. The gabled tripartite north front, the centre breaking forwards slightly, has a large round-headed doorway with very elaborate terracotta surround including tympanum with reliefs, and flanking side doors in similar style; a large circular window near the top flanked by monograms and under an enriched pediment, and windows to the tops of the aisles, of 2 round-headed lights, all these with elaborate terracotta surrounds. The west side has high-set round-headed windows with similarly elaborate surrounds. INTERIOR: basilica form, with colonnades of massive Corinthian columns in polished red marble mounted on square plinths of black marble; coffered barrel-vaulted ceiling; marble cladding to the walls and apse, in various hues, including giant Corinthian pilasters; mosaic portraits of saints over arcade to chapel; canted north gallery with ornamental cast-iron balustrade.



Listing NGR: SD5376529221

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
391946
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14355/26
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Convey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].