TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1207256

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1979

Statutory Address: TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK, 14 AND 15, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1207256 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2018 at 18:24:06.

Location

Statutory Address: TRUSTEE SAVINGS BANK, 14 AND 15, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: Preston (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SD 54153 29386

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

PRESTON

SD5429SW CHURCH STREET 941-1/12/71 (North side) 27/09/79 Nos.14 AND 15 Trustee Savings Bank

GV II

Bank. Dated 1905 on plinth; for Preston Savings Bank. Sandstone ashlar on plinth of polished pink granite (roof concealed but probably slate). Long rectangular block with front range parallel to street. Baroque style. Two storeys and 1:4:1 bays, symmetrical; ground floor treated as rustic and 1st floor as piano nobile, with moulded plinth, modillioned cornice and balustraded parapet. The 4-bay centre has channelled rusticated piers and large cross-windows at ground floor, blocked pairs of Ionic columns at 1st floor and large round-headed 2-light casement windows with glazing bars, fanlights with radiating glazing bars, keyed architraves, and small balustraded segmental balconies. The central pier of the ground floor has marks of former attached lettering "PRESTON SAVINGS BANK", and a foundation stone in the plinth with inscription recording that it was laid by W.P.Park, Chairman of the Trustees, in October 1905. The end bays break forwards slightly and have channelled rustication to both floors; each has a round-headed doorway at ground floor with rusticated voussoirs and carved keystone, and a doorcase composed of granite blocked Tuscan columns with sandstone entablature and open-segmental pediment, decorated wrought-iron gates and fanlights (the latter mostly concealed by modern signs), at 1st floor a 12-pane sashed window with triple-keystone, pedimented architrave and small balustraded balcony, and at parapet level a segmental pediment containing a cartouche with swags. INTERIOR: banking hall has richly decorated coffered ceiling with egg-and-dart frieze, folated modillions, massive beams on foliated consoles, and geometrical-patterned moulded plaster decoration in the panels.

Listing NGR: SD5413229404

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 391949

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing